You Won't Want to Skip This Breakfast
Health experts agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day for fueling a healthy body and nimble mind, yet many of us consistently forget or forego it.
How to make breakfast a “don’t-miss” meal? Our own Myra Goodman, Earthbound Farm co-founder and an accomplished cookbook author, created one of our morning favorites years ago: her simple yet delicious Maple Almond Granola, which has been a favorite at our Farm Stand in Carmel Valley, CA, for over a decade.
- It’s got just 7 ingredients and is ready to go into the oven in only a few minutes.
- This recipe is great for getting kids into the kitchen, too. Youngsters of any age can help measure the ingredients, pour them into a big bowl and mix them up, then help spread it out on a baking sheet.
- It’s a great way to get the whole family to eat some of the healthiest foods around: whole oats (for heart-healthy fiber), almonds (with protein, calcium, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin E), and sunflower seeds (for protein, fiber, vitamin E, iron and many other healthy minerals).
And whenever you can, choose organic ingredients to:
- Help you reduce your dietary exposure to pesticide residues,
- Support food producers who use environmentally friendly methods to protect the environment, and
- Kick up the healthy flavor — we think organic tastes better, too!
For Today’s Step, try this granola for breakfast with milk, or the Goodman family's favorite way: spooned over plain nonfat yogurt mixed with apple sauce (about a 1-to-1 ratio). The apple sauce gives the yogurt a fluffier texture and sweetens it naturally. Got other ways to eat it? Did you sub in some favorite ingredients that you like even more? Share your ideas in Comments below!
Earthbound Farm’s Famous Maple Almond Granola
- Serves 8
- From Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook by Myra Goodman
- 4-1/2 cups Old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup Raw sunflower seeds
- 1-1/2 cups Coarsely chopped raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons Ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups Pure maple syrup (preferably Grade A dark amber)
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Place the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the maple syrup and oil, and stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Spread the granola on a 17x12x1-inch (half-sheet) rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until the granola begins to brown, about 25 minutes. Stir the granola with a flat spatula and continue to cook until it's light golden brown, dry and fragrant, about 15 to 20 minutes more. Stir the granola at least once more, and watch it carefully during the final minutes because it can burn quickly.
- Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack. Add the raisins and stir to combine, then allow the granola to cool completely.
- Transfer the granola to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 month, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for more quick and delicious ways to start your day? Try some of our smoothie recipes in our searchable Recipe Center!