Super Green Smoothie
Smoothies are a delicious way fuel your body with whole foods while you satisfy both your hunger and your taste buds — and they’re a perfect breakfast or snack at home, at work/school, or on the go.
This super smoothie combines fruit, veggies, reduced-fat milk and flax seeds, with a little honey for natural sweetness, in a healthy beverage that even kids will love.
Take Today’s Step and look for this and other yummy, healthy Ideal Meals on ProduceForKids.com — a terrific resource for healthy family eating and supporting children’s charities (this recipe is part of the fall Ideal Meals™ series from Produce for Kids). Then let us know what you think on our Facebook page or in Comments below.
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 banana, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup spinach, packed gently
- 1 cup green apple, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Blend milk, banana, avocado, spinach, apple, flax seeds and honey in a blender until smooth.
- For a complete meal, serve Super Green Smoothie with whole grain toast, spread with 1 tablespoon each nut butter and fruit jam. (This meal provides 415 nutrient-rich calories.)
Thanks to our friends at Produce for Kids for sharing this recipe with us. Photo courtesy of Produce for Kids.