Share Some Yum With Mom!
Earthbound consulting chef Pam McKinstry created the original recipe for these incredibly craveable muffins back in 1978 for her Nantucket Island restaurant, and they’ve been wildly popular ever since. The recipe was first published in Gourmet Magazine in 1981 — and in 1991, it was chosen as one of the magazine's 25 favorite recipes from the past 50 years!
These muffins actually taste better the next day, when the flavors have married. Store them at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days (if you can keep them around that long), or freeze them for up to 2 months.
Make these wonderful muffins for the special mom in your life on Mother’s Day. Make them extra special by using organic ingredients (like Earthbound Farm organic raisins, apples and carrots) so they’re as wholesome as they are delicious!
Happy Mother’s Day this weekend to all our moms
— and especially, Mother Nature!
The Original Morning Glory Muffins
- Serves 16 | Prep time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 45 minutes (including cooling time)
- 1-1/4 cups Sugar
- 2-1/4 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Shredded, sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- 1 large Earthbound Farm Organic Apple (peeled and grated)
- 1 cup Crushed pineapple (drained, about 8 oz)
- 2 cups Grated Earthbound Farm Organic Carrots
- 1/2 cup Coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Sift or whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add the coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots and nuts, and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups, filling each to the brim. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Calories per serving (1 muffin) 360, Fat 19 grams, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Carbohydrates 45 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Sugars 27 grams, Protein 4 grams.