Smoothies are a delightful way to satisfy your senses and refuel your body, especially if you want to add more healthy greens to your diet.
In this recipe from our co-founder Myra Goodman’s new cookbook, Straight from the Earth, fresh baby spinach, bananas, mango and pineapple blend beautifully with coconut water and lime to make a sensational smoothie for any time of day.
Oh, did we mention that this refreshing drink is vegan, too? But don’t let that scare you — it’s utterly delicious and omnivore approved!
Tropical Green Smoothie
- Prep Time: 15m | Serves 2
- Myra’s friend Terry Nordby, who gave her this recipe, says this morning smoothie is her favorite way to include flaxseed in her daily diet — but it’s optional if you prefer a smoother texture. Even without flaxseed, this drink is highly nutritious. It also provides a perfect use for those ripe bananas that might otherwise never get eaten! From Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone by Myra Goodman & Marea Goodman.
- 12 ounces coconut water
- 2 cups (packed) Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach
- 1 ripe medium banana, fresh or frozen (peel and slice before freezing)
- 3/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Mango Chunks
- 2 Earthbound Farm Organic Pitted Dates, cut into thirds
- Zest and juice from 1 small or 1/2 large lime
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- Place the coconut water and spinach in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the banana, pineapple, mango, dates, lime zest and juice, and flaxseed (if using) to the blender. Pulse until the big chunks of fruit are broken up, and then blend until very smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Per serving, with flaxseed: Calories 270, Fat 3.5 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrates 60 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Sugars 44 grams, Protein 5 grams. Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 90%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.
- Per serving, no flaxseed: Calories 230, Fat 0.5 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrates 58 grams, Fiber 7 grams, Sugars 44 grams, Protein 4 grams. Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 90%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.