This Rainbow is Delicious
Colorful, textural salads with vibrant flavors are a great way to get kids — and the whole family — to eat fresh produce. This healthy, colorful combo of fruits and veggies makes a sweet-savory-crunchy coleslaw that looks and tastes great.
We like walnuts and dried cranberries (optional) tossed in for texture and flavor. Try adding thinly sliced onions or grated radishes, if you like, or experiment with other favorite nuts and dried fruits.
Use the coarse side of a box grater or a food processor to shred the carrot and apple. For paper-thin slices of fennel, a V-slicer or mandoline is your best bet.
When you're shopping, choose organic apples and carrots if you can — apples are #1 on the Environmental Working Group's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce, the list of fruits and veggies that can carry multiple pesticide residues when grown conventionally.
Try this flavorful side dish for your next picnic or barbecue. Then let us know what your family thought of it — or if you added any custom touches of your own!
- 1 large Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot (peeled and coarsely grated)
- 1 cup Thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- 1 large Organic green apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 large Fennel bulb (trimmed)
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Agave syrup or honey (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cider vinegar
- Dash Sea or kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Dried Cranberries (optional)
- 1/3 cup Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Poppy seeds (optional)
- Place the carrot and cabbage in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Place the lemon juice in another bowl. Cut the unpeeled apple in half lengthwise, remove the core and coarsely grate. Add the grated apple to the lemon juice and toss to coat. Cut the fennel in half lengthwise, remove the core, and then slice crosswise into paper thin ribbons. Add the fennel to the apple and toss to combine. Then add the apple-fennel mixture to the carrot-cabbage mixture and toss again.
- Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, agave and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add about three-quarters of the dressing to the slaw and toss to combine, then add more dressing if needed. Season the coleslaw with salt to taste.
- Transfer the salad to a bowl or platter and garnish with the cranberries, walnuts and poppy seeds, if using.