Taste a Savory Rainbow
Here’s a versatile dish that’s easy to pull together from your pantry & freezer whenever you’ve got a taste for some deeply satisfying veggies.
It’s a savory mixture of earthy greens, juicy tomatoes and tender garbanzos — a succulent accompaniment to simple roasted meats, especially chicken or pork, any day of the week.
On a Meatless Monday, serve it over pasta or rice (we love it with nutty brown rice or a long grain & wild rice combo) for a standout vegetarian main dish for 2. Delish!
Find out more about Earthbound’s entire line of frozen fruits and veggies here with a fun photo contest to enter — and click here for a coupon so you can try any of our frozen fruits or veggies for yourself. Yum! But hurry: the coupon is only available for a limited time (one per user, please), and the online festivities end March 6, 2014. Good luck!
Mixed Rainbow Chard with Tomatoes and Garbanzo Beans
- Prep Time: 10m | Cook time: 30m | Serves 8 as a side, or 2 as an entrée with rice or pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Yellow Onion (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 9-oz package Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Rainbow Chard Blend
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion begins to get translucent, about 5 minutes. (Careful — don’t burn the garlic!)
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomatoes, frozen Mixed Rainbow Chard and lemon juice. Cook until the chard is tender, stirring frequently (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas, paprika, water, salt and pepper. Simmer about 5 minutes more to heat through.
- Serve hot, topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired.