Portable, Delicious, Healthy Lunch
It’s the season to get yourself outside — so why not bring a tasty, healthy lunch along to fuel your adventure? Our friend Shanon at The Curvy Carrot created this delicious portable recipe featuring our Organic Baby Spinach:
I like my exercise outdoors, if at all possible; I love walking and hiking. Recently I’ve discovered cycling, and I think it just might be "one of my sports." We’ve got some pretty awesome bike trails around Milwaukee; with the feel of the wind on my face, I can bike 20 miles without even thinking about it. I take big, deep breaths and let go of stress.
Cycling reminds me a little of the calm I felt in Earthbound Farm’s fields (click here or here for pics). There was blue sky, mountains to one side, and field after field of lush, vibrant greens. A little heaven on Earth, seeing exactly where my food was coming from…smelling and tasting it, too…and knowing that it was being grown in a completely organic environment. It felt alive. Clean. And very, very healthy. That’s how I feel on my bike rides.
Sometimes I pack a lunch to enjoy on the go. But there are rules: it has to be easily portable, there shouldn't be utensils, and keeping it cold shouldn't be an issue. A wrap is usually the simplest thing to make ahead of time to snack on along the way.
For this wrap, I made a spread with white beans, avocado and Earthbound organic baby spinach to add great depth of flavor (makes a great dip on its own, too!). I topped it with some bacon-flavored seitan, more spinach and some fresh tomato, plus that protein powerhouse quinoa, an easy add-in that keeps my energy levels up on long rides. I like to think of this wrap as a healthier, vegetarian version of a BLT!
Spinach, White Bean, Avocado & Quinoa "BLT" Wraps
- A Curvy Carrot original recipe
- Prep Time: 15m, not including cooking seitan or quinoa | Makes 4 wraps
- FOR THE SPINACH, BEAN & AVOCADO SPREAD:
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- One avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach (plus 1-2 cups more for the wraps)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- FOR THE WRAPS:
- Four 8 or 10-inch wraps (I used pita here, but you can use tortillas, lavash or whatever you like)
- One 5-ounce package of bacon-flavored seitan (cooked according to package directions)
- One tomato (diced)
- One cup cooked quinoa (cook it in vegetable broth for a big flavor boost)
- To make the spread, combine the white beans, avocado and spinach in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- With the processor running, add the oil in a thin stream, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Pulse until the mixture is smooth. Add the salt, pulsing until combined. Adjust to taste, adding more salt if desired.
- Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of the bean mixture onto each wrap. Layer the spread with a few pieces of seitan, tomato, more spinach, and about 1/4 cup quinoa. Roll up each wrap tightly. If you’re taking yours on the road, wrap it tightly in foil before you tuck it into your bag. Enjoy!