Give Yourself a Hot & Healthy Breakfast
Healthy eating includes giving your body the fuel it needs, when it needs it. After fasting all night, your body needs a good source of energy to start the day — that’s why breakfast is so important.
A delicious bowl of steaming hot cereal is a brilliant way to get going. It helps keep you satisfied until lunchtime with a combo of rolled oats, quinoa and buckwheat groats (or kasha), all in a tasty and healthy high-protein breakfast that's loaded with fiber.
Tailor it as you like with favorite fruits (fresh or dried), a handful of nuts, or subbing maple syrup for honey. Pack in even more protein by mixing in a tablespoon of nut butter. Older kids might be able to make this cereal for themselves; younger ones can help out with measuring and stirring. Leftovers reheat beautifully in the microwave, too.
Multigrain Hot Cereal with Apples and Raisins
- Prep Time: 15m | Cook Time: 20m | Serves 4
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2/3 cup thick rolled oats
- 1 large Earthbound Farm Organic Apple (coarsely grated, unpeeled, cores discarded)
- 1/3 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- Honey or brown sugar (optional)
- Milk (optional)
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat and add the groats and quinoa. Cover and simmer the mixture over low heat for 7 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats, cover, and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in the apple, raisins and cinnamon, cover, and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the cereal sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and serve hot with honey or brown sugar, if desired. Add milk if you like a thinner consistency.