Lettuce Leaves Make Yummy Hummus Healthier
Good hummus is always welcome at any gathering — and this delicious version features Moroccan spices to set it apart.
While hummus is always terrific served on a cracker, a pita chip or a slice of baguette, it's just as tasty on a crunchy leaf of romaine or a colorful leaf of tender heirloom lettuce (for far fewer calories).
And it couldn't be easier to serve: arrange a pretty assortment of lettuce leaves on a platter around a bowl of this flavorful hummus and watch it disappear! (Better double the recipe.)
Moroccan Hummus with Lettuce Leaves
- Serves 6
- 4 cloves Earthbound Farm Organic Garlic (large cloves, minced)
- 2 cans Garbanzo beans (chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and drained again)
- 1/2 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Red Onion (very finely diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground cardamom
- 2 large Earthbound Farm Organic Tomatoes (peeled, seeded and finely diced)
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Italian Parsley (minced)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces Earthbound Farm Organic Romaine Hearts or Heirloom Lettuces (about 1-1/2 heads, depending on size, leaves only, washed and dried)
- Place the garbanzos in a food processor and process until they are roughly puréed.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and cardamom, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the puréed garbanzos to the skillet along with the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. When the hummus has cooled to room temperature, mix in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. For the best flavor, serve at room temperature.
- The hummus can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week.