Harness the Power of Blue for Breakfast
The "power of blue" makes this breakfast drink a terrific way to start the day. Blueberries and pomegranates are both antioxidant powerhouses, helping your body stay healthy and defend itself against environmental damage. Blended together with yogurt, they make a delightfully nutritious smoothie that will supercharge your morning.
Try this recipe as Today’s Step for a quick breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up. What other fruit combos do you like? Does a healthy breakfast change how you feel in the morning? Share your own ideas and inspirations in Comments below!
Pomegranate Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie
- Serves 1
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Blueberries (unthawed)
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (preferably Greek style)
- 1/2 cup Crushed ice
- Grenadine or agave syrup (to taste)
- Place the pomegranate juice and blueberries in a blender and purée until smooth. Add the yogurt and ice, and continue puréeing until smooth. Add grenadine syrup or agave to sweeten the drink to your taste. Serve immediately.
- Note: If you have an abundant supply of pomegranates, try our simple recipe to make your own grenadine syrup at home. This sweet red syrup is used by mixologists for its bright color and sweetness; it’s a signature ingredient in non-alcoholic Shirley Temples and Tequila Sunrise cocktails, among others.
- Commercial grenadine is largely a mixture of high fructose corn syrup and artificial color, but the real McCoy is made from pomegranate juice, and it’s both incredibly delicious and amazingly simple to make your own.