Broccolette is a cross between broccoli and gai lan (Chinese kale). If you aren’t familiar with this vegetable, you’re in for a treat! (Broccolette is Earthbound's organic variety of this delicious veggie; you may also see similar items in the supermarket called broccolini or baby broccoli.)
Oven-roasting concentrates the sugars and brings out deep, delicious flavors for many vegetables. In this recipe, the garlic mellows, becoming soft and sweet. The tops and leaves of the broccolette brown lightly, while the stems stay crisp-tender. It’s perfect beside simple roast meats or poached fish.
Garlic Roasted Broccolette
- Prep Time: 20m | Cook Time: 30m | Serves 4
- From The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet by Myra Goodman
- 2 bunches Earthbound Farm Organic Broccolette (rinsed and patted dry)
- 10 cloves Earthbound Farm Organic Garlic (thickly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Cut off and discard the bottom inch of the broccolette stems. If any stems are thicker than a pencil, slit them lengthwise, starting from the bottom and cutting upward for 2 or 3 inches. (This will allow the thicker stems to cook in the same amount of time as the thinner ones.)
- Place the broccolette on a rimmed baking sheet, and add the garlic and olive oil. Using your hands, toss to coat all the vegetables. Spread the broccolette out in a single layer and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Stir the vegetables with a spatula, and continue roasting for another 10 minutes. Stir again, and roast for 5 more minutes.
- Check to see if the broccolette is tender, browned and crisp. If not, continue cooking for up to another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Per serving: Calories 100, Fat 7 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 310 mg, Carbohydrates 9 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Sugars 2 grams, Protein 1 gram.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 45%, Iron 2%.