Delicious Kid Fuel
"Trail mixes made with nuts, seeds and dried fruits are one of the healthiest snacks to feed our kids (and ourselves!)," says Earthbound Farm co-founder Myra Goodman. With protein to stabilize blood sugar, and lots of vitamins, minerals and fiber, plus plenty of heart-healthy fats, homemade trail mixes are incredibly convenient to carry anywhere for whenever hunger strikes.
Making trail mix with your kids is fun, affordable and a surefire way to get your kids enthusiastic about healthy snacking. Make "trail mixing" a family project: set out your selection of ingredients, along with a bunch of empty bowls, so everyone can create their own personal blends.
"Nina’s Mix is my niece’s combination, and my daughter Marea came up with the other tasty blends," Myra says. "Enjoy!"
Trail mix makes makes a perfect snack for an active family, whether it's a weekday or the weekend. Got your own delicious variation? Share it in Comments!
- PRETZEL MIX: (makes about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- 1 ounce Pretzel sticks
- HIGH-ENEGRY SPORTS MIX: (makes about 3-1/4 cups)
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 cup Banana chips
- 1/4 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- MAREA'S MIX: (makes about 2-3/4 cups)
1 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- 1/4 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Dried Cranberries
- NINA'S MIX: (makes about 3 cups)
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Raisins
- FANCY MIX: (makes about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1 cup Pistachios
- 1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Dried Cranberries
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir briefly to distribute them evenly throughout the mixture.
- Trail mixes will last a long time stored in sealed containers or plastic bags at room temperature. (Note that adding pretzels to your mix will shorten its storage life, because pretzels tend to go stale fairly quickly once out of their original packaging.)
- Allow at least 1/4 cup of trail mix per serving. Adjust proportions, substitute for your family's tastes...experiment and find your favorite blend!